Sunday, September 22, 2013

#Commit2Equality for LGBT Armenians

There hasn't been a week that's gone by that I haven't thought about this blog and more specifically, that I haven't felt guilty about not updating it (... in 4 months!). It is still a very near and dear project of mine and one I'm not willing to let go of yet... that being said, I cannot guarantee that I'll update it regularly, though I will sure as hell try. So bear with me, and check in every once in a while...

Here is a poster of a campaign by Equality California that a few of us helped translate into Armenian. By all no means was it easy trying to find a word or expression in Armenian for "coming out" — the best suggestion and the one we finally went with was «տեսանելի լինել հանրության մեջ», which roughly (and literally) translates to "being visible in public" (which is as good as it's gonna get at the moment).

There was also the issue of the word "commit". In order to convey the same meaning in Armenian, we opted not to use the actual translation of the word commit but instead to go with "promise," which worked better in this context.

So, the back translation of the text in Armenian in this poster reads: "I promise to support gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender Armenians, so that they will be able to be visible in public." 

We definitely need more messages like this in the Armenian language.
 


P.S. Unzipped:Gay Armenia also blogged about the campaign and this poster (though in a more timely fashion than me! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment