Friday, July 24, 2009

Just because someone didn’t pay...

The elevator has been shut off since yesterday because someone in the apartment building I’m staying at didn’t pay the bill. The occupants of the building have to pay the elevator bill to use the elevator: everyone has to pay their own portion. Because someone didn’t pay, the elevator has been shut down and no one can use it. And we live on the 10th floor...

Yesterday, we went to Cocoon, a bar known to be frequented by mostly gay men. Of course us queer women go too (where else are we supposed to go?). And now I know why it’s called Cocoon: not only is it underground, but it’s tiny. About 4 or 5 tables lined up against the wall, across from the bar area. The dance floor incidentally becomes the space inbetween. It wasn’t too busy yesterday (it was a Thursday night after all); apart from us and our friends, there were only a handful of other folks there. Soon they left and we had the place mostly to ourselves. Lots of dancing and good times :)

The day before yesterday was laundry day. I’m fascinated by the act of doing laundry. Here, it really is a day-long task. I have posted a few photos below and perhaps I will elaborate a little further on the process later. For now, there are thoughts simmering to produce an installation/photo exhibit incorporating this theme. Our WOW collective is planning on doing another exhibit in September and I’ve been thinking about my piece. At first, I wasn’t going to participate (too many other things to do and think about; no time for art), but I can’t help the ideas coming to me that take the form of either a photo series or an installation piece or something incorporating both. We’ll see...

Since I have arrived, I can honestly say that my time has been primarily occupied by two things: spending as much time with Asya (cooking, eating, sleeping, walking, watching films, talking, etc.) and meeting new people. At every gathering there is at least one new face. Lately, I have been spending more time with Europeans (and the odd American) who are artists and art curators here for various art events related to their career. There is the Summer School for Curators which takes place every year in Yerevan, though this year the school is more of a series of summer seminars occuring alongside an art symposium (http://www.naac.am/html/htmeng/issac/ssc09.html). There is so much going on that I’m having trouble keeping up. Plus, the nagging thought that I should be actively looking for work makes it difficult to completely relax and enjoy the company and good times (often accompanied by beer). I have to remind myself that these new faces are visitors; they don’t live here. Which in and of itself is not a problem, but it doesn’t help when I am attempting to stay here long-term and thus, I have to count my pennies and work out details involved in finding a job and securing income, a regular internet connection and other tasks more administrative in nature which apply when you are settling down in a place instead of just passing by.

I’m getting into the pace of life here, but at the same time trying not to lose the drive to get things done. I’m trying to get into more of a working schedule; if I can get out of bed earlier in the morning, I can get more things done before the heat of the day sets in. Evenings are cool and an ideal time to work, except of course everyone wants to go to this or that cafe and share a drink or two with friends. So my goal now is to wake up earlier and get online. Slowly, things will come together. One day at a time...

No comments:

Post a Comment